What is Science
“What is science?”
Dr. Douglas Duncan, University of Colorado
Science is a process of trying to understand the world by making models (or theories) which have predictive power. It is not just a set of knowledge. It usually involves:
- Looking for patterns (which can be clues to underlying laws)
This may involve:
- Suggesting an explanation (hypothesis) which explains all the observations made so far AND predicts new ones
- Making an experiment or collecting more data which tests the prediction
- (If the experiment fails) Suggesting another hypothesis, and trying another experiment….
- Telling others what you have discovered.